The Italian Greyhound Club Code Of Ethics
All members of the Italian Greyhound Club undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservations that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural constitution of the animal, may report such an operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause such a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars * and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
9) Will clean up after their dog in public places or anywhere they are being exhibited.
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog)
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog
15) Keep dogs and bitches in good conditions, the welfare of dogs/bitches being of paramount importance.
16) Breed only for type and improvement of the breed in accordance with the Italian Greyhound Breed Standard.
17) Bitches should not be bred from until 18 months of age or over the age of 8 years.
18) Stud dog owners should use their discretion in the number of times a dog is used at stud in the course of a year, and should not allow their dogs to be used on bitches of poor quality. Dogs should not be used until they are at least 9 months of age. Dogs/bitches should not be bred from that are known to carry a genetically transmitted disease or defect.
19) Bitches should not be allowed to whelp more than once in every 12 months with a maximum of 4 litters in her lifetime.
20) Any breeding arrangement to be in writing, a copy for both parties, signed by both.
21) Not exercise their dogs when engaging in KC licensed activities except in authorised areas ensuring that any faeces are removed and appropriately disposed of.
22) Ideally puppies should not leave for their new home before 10 weeks of age. Placement of dogs/bitches into good homes only where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy healthy life; the breeder will agree, always, to take the dog/bitch back if the initial circumstances change.
23) Will supply written advice to all new owners re: characteristics of the breed, diet, preventative inoculations and/or medications against infectious diseases, worming, exercise, insurance, accidents and comfort for the dog/bitch.
24)All puppies to be registered with the Kennel Club, registration certificate and a signed pedigree (3 generation or more) to be handed over to the buyer at the time of purchase or at the earliest opportunity if not immediately available. N.B. “Pet Only” dogs/bitches should have their registrations endorsed, “Not to be bred from” as per Kennel Club regulations
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE ITALIAN GREYHOUND CLUB IS TO BE RECOMMENDED AND ENCOURAGED
*The law requires that all dogs/bitches must wear a collar with an identification device bearing the owner’s name and address (the minimum allowed for an address is post code plus house name or number) when in a public place.